Today we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. This holiday has a rich history and has rightfully become very popular among young people around the world. It not only commemorates St. Patrick, a patron of Ireland who is known for converting Irish people to Christianity. It has globally become a celebration of the vibrant Irish culture.
There are many fun little facts about the celebration. Here’s just a few:
- Despite the theme of the celebration, St. Patrick is believed to be Scottish or Welsh!
- Every year around 150,000 – 200,000 people march in the New York City’s St. Patrick’s Day parade!
- Another 2 million people participate in the New York City parade as spectators
- Average annual spending on St. Patrick’s Day is $4.14 billion
- Around 39% of the American population celebrates St. Patrick’s Day
- Every year around $245 million is spent on beer on St. Patrick’s Day
- The first year that green dye was dumped into the Chicago River was 1962
- Annually around 8 million cards are exchanged by Americans on St. Patrick’s
- In 2010 the Sydney Opera House went green in celebration of the 200th anniversary of St. Patrick’s Day there
- On St. Patrick’s Day Guinness sales double from the usual 5.5 million to 11 million pints a day.
There is so much to love about St. Patrick’s Day. Have a happy one this year!
If you found this article interesting, please like, share and comment on social media.
Written by HAWP Project Marketing Team